Sunday, February 8, 2015

Zoetrope Shot Bar

Lots of good whisky bars in Tokyo. I spend most of my time at my own little whisky pub for obvious reasons, but I do like to get out once in a while and visit the big places. Places not necessarily big in size, but big in terms of the number of quality bottles they keep on the shelves.

I finally got around to visiting Zoetrope Shot Bar in Shinjuku a couple of weeks ago. Knowing that Mr. Horigami keeps a very respectable selection of Japanese whiskies, I decided I was going to head over there one night after work at my other job and see if I couldn't try something from the Ichiro's Malt Card Series that I hadn't tried before.

I settled on the 9 of Spades.


Follow the link and look at the price it commanded when sold and you get an idea of how rare and valuable whiskies from this series are. The Nine of Spades was finished in a Cream Sherry butt and it really came through on the nose and on the palate. A very enjoyable, good-quality dram that only set me back ¥2400 (~$21 US). Of course, had Mr. Horigami opened the bottle that day at the current market value, a glass would have been priced well out of my comfort zone.

Being able to try a rare Japanese whisky at a reasonable cost should be enough to convince any lover of the single malt to give Zoetrope a try, but if that doesn't do it, maybe the combination of interesting whiskies and the quirkiness of being able to watch silent films projected onto the wall while sipping away will be enough...







No comments:

Post a Comment