Monday, April 27, 2015

Talisker 18 Year Old

A couple of different online reviews from respected whisky connoisseurs gave the Talisker 18 y.o. currently available on shelves excellent marks, with one of the reviewers saying it's on his top-five-must-have-whiskies list.

I picked up a bottle a couple of months ago and thought, Nah. Good, but not great. However, a few nights ago I gave it another go after letting the opened bottle sit for awhile, and I have to say I now understand where those reviewers were coming from. Below are my tasting notes from my first glass two months ago...

Facts:

  • Bottled at 45.8% a.b.v.
  • Purchased for ~$100 US in Tokyo


Appearance:
Golden caramel

Nose:
Wet dog, coastal tang, sea spray, briny, grassy, honey, fruit, tropical, cranberry, raisins, toffee

Palate:
Sweet, vanilla, maple syrup, malty, fruity, apples, raisins, black pepper and ginger

Finish:
Medium-long

Smoky, peat, dry, oak, melon

Initial Conclusion: Definitely Talisker, but a bit too mellow, bordering on dull compared to Talisker 10 y.o. 

Updated Conclusion: Wow! More Talisker intensity showing up. Much more balanced; the true quality of this whisky finally shines through. As of this week, this is my favorite Island single malt yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment