Monday, May 25, 2015

And the Best Whisky in the World Is...


...not the best whisky in the world.

Or, at least I think so.

And, so does Bob down the street.

No, I'm not attacking the choice made at the World Whiskies Awards 2015 which named Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique Best Single Malt of 2015; we all know that taste is subjective anyway.

Or do we?

With Jim Murray calling Yamazaki Sherry Cask 2013 the world's best single malt late last year and Taketsuru 17 Year Old being named World's Best Blended Malt, also at the World Whiskies Awards 2015, coupled with the overwhelming popularity of the morning TV drama 'Massan' here in Japan, the demand for Japanese malts has never been greater. You see article after article saying that the Japanese have dethroned the Scots as the whisky-making kings and plenty of non-Japanese Japanese-whisky enthusiasts writing Japanese-whisky-themed blogs.

So, are Asian whisky makers poised to become the most respected in the world?

Who knows? And who cares? As long I can always have bottles of Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, Springbank and Talisker around, I'll always be a happy whisky drinker. I do enjoy several Japanese whiskies and enjoyed the Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique from Taiwan, but I'm not keeping any of them in my cabinet if I'm ever told that I must limit my whisky collection to 10 bottles...

No comments:

Post a Comment