Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Templeton Rye

I mix most of my whiskey cocktails with rye, not bourbon. Of course, there are some that demand a good bourbon, but for the most part, it's the spiciness of the rye whiskey that helps balance things out when other ingredients tend to be on the sweet side.

And, I don't mind admitting that I enjoy sipping neat a cocktail-grade rye like Wild Turkey 81, or even Jim Beam or Old Overholt.

However, after having it recommended to me by a friend, I decided to pick up a bottle of Templeton Rye (not widely available here in Tokyo) and take my rye drinking a little more seriously.

Long story on Templeton Rye here.

Short story:
Good-quality American whiskey with a sweet, floral, well-balanced nose available immediately after pouring neat. Tastewise, it's short and sweet with a lingering spicy aftertaste on the finish. Vanilla, cinnamon, toffee, orange...

More on the story:
A lot of controversy surrounds Templeton Rye (as well as several other Bourbons and Ryes). According to many sources, it seems that consumers have been suckered by excellent marketing and have been persuaded to pay a higher price for a rye that can be purchased more cheaply as another brand. Check out the following links for more on the story:

Next time I buy a bottle of rye whiskey for sipping, I'll be looking at Russell's Reserve.

Note: I make a definite distinction when talking about 'whiskey' cocktails and 'whisky' cocktails, Maker's Mark being a notable exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment