Monday, January 18, 2016

Scrambling For Sherry Cask 2016

Last week at the pub, a customer asked me if I was going to be able to get the 2016 Sherry Cask single malt from Yamazaki.

"Oh, is that coming out soon?"

His eyes got really wide, "Yeah, February 1st! But, it looks like there are too few bottles allocated for Japan to even hope to have a chance at getting one..."

"Shoganai."

"Shoganai."

I've not yet tried any of the Sherry Cask special edition single malts from Yamazaki. I'd certainly like to try one, especially the 2013 version, but unless a friend shows up with a bottle saying, "Hey, look what I've got!" it's not likely I'll be able to anytime soon. It's just too hard anymore to get any of the really good reasonably priced Japanese whiskies.

Two years ago, if you wanted to get a bottle of the latest Chichibu single malt and you knew the release date or visited bottle shops at least once a week, you could. Nowadays, it seems like you hear about how the latest release sold out in 30 minutes before you even hear that there was a new release at all. This latest post from Nonjatta sums it up.

Though I do enjoy many of the malts produced here, I should say that I'm not one of those people who've fallen in love with Japanese whisky. However, being a fan of whisky in general, I would like it to be more accessible; trying whiskies from everywhere is what makes being a whisky enthusiast so enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment